Saturday 12 May 2012

The end of an era.



I practically shoved my parents and my brother out of the door on the day that I got dropped off at halls whispering "Please! I need to do this on my own!". Scared shitless and yet so excited. Meeting the people I live with that night was interesting: One northener, three welshies, one bristolian, one londoner, and one from Dorset. A cornucopia of strange accents and bizarre personalities. Having come straight from a small village where I'd been through nursery, infant, junior and secondary school as well as a-levels with the same people it was so refreshing meeting some new people- especially those who are all different from the generic mould. Three years later I live with the majority of people I met that night along with new friends. It doesn't feel like three years when I think our friendship- it's more like ten or twenty, and yet sometimes it feels like no time at all.

Getting the train to Treforest two-three times every week for three years was a great way to escape the urban concrete center. The only thing is I don't even want to think of how much that's cost me! I've always found water soothing and so, seeing the river Taff- and seeing how it changes through the seasons- always puts me in a good mood. I know Treforest isn't a thing of beauty; on a rainy day it can be more grey than the city but hey, looking out of the class windows to the mountains in the mist is rather pretty. 
I was talking to the girls I met in my classes about the first time we all remember meeting- it's weird how sometimes you can be sat right next to someone, not knowing they play such a huge role in your future. 
My first memory is walking into my poetry class and seeing some friendly looking faces and plonking myself down hoping for the best- I did well. The lecturers all have their pros and cons but I think we will all look back fondly about them- I think we all decided that Alice is our favourite. 

Anyway, I digress. 

I've learnt a lot- both in classes and out of the classroom. It's been three years of hard work (why does all the coursework all come at once!), laughter, tears, weird experiences, and far too much booze. I wouldn't change anything... well ok, one thing. I would quote how my housemates and I feel about it- but it's a bit too rude to put on the internet, let alone my blog! All in all, uni was fucking brilliant. 













   

No comments:

Post a Comment