Thursday 31 May 2012

The Lincoln Imp

I want to write something about my Grandad, about who he was, and what he has achieved. His little quirks and habits that I sometimes see echoed in my father and uncles. And about how much I admire him- and how I wish he was still here. But I'm struggling to put it into words. I don't want to be morbid about it- I want to be happy. So I have decided to do a few little posts about things he has told me, or places we have been instead.  


My favourite as a kid was about the Lincoln Imp. Grandad laughed when I asked him to recount the tale for Lizzy when she visited but I love that he told it anyway:


'The Lincoln Imp is the symbol of the City of Lincoln, the county town of LincolnshireEngland.


According to a 14th-century legend two mischievous creatures called imps were sent by Satan to do evil work on Earth. After causing mayhem in Northern England, the two imps headed to Lincoln Cathedral where they smashed tables and chairs and tripped up the Bishop. When an angel came out of a book of hymns and told them to stop, one of the imps was brave and started throwing rocks at the angel but the other imp cowered under the broken tables and chairs. The angel turned the first imp to stone giving the second imp a chance to escape'



Wiki obviously doesn't compare to his version- and it doesn't have his ending: That if the wind is blowing the right way you can hear the Imp crying. And that one day, if he's good, the angel will change the Imp back.






No comments:

Post a Comment